Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos
You are going to love them, even if you are not a vegetarian!
Yield: 4 burritos or 3.5 cups of filling
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, cubed, & roasted
- 1/2 cup uncooked short grain brown rice (yields: 1.5 cups cooked)
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 2 tsp ground cumin, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- One 15-oz can black beans (about 1.5-2 cups cooked), drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup Daiya cheese
- 4 tortilla wraps (large or x-large) [hint: corn tortillas are lower in sodium and calories, so consider converting these into tacos instead of burritos and use corn tortillas]
- Toppings of choice: (avocado, salsa, vegan sour cream, spinach/lettuce, cilantro, etc)
1. Preheat oven to 425F and line a large glass dish with tinfoil. Drizzle olive oil on squash and give a shake of salt and pepper. Coat with hands. Roast chopped butternut squash for 45 mins. or until tender.
2. Cook brown rice (for directions, see here)
3. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, add oil, onion, and minced garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Now add in salt and seasonings and stir well.
4. Add chopped red pepper, black beans, and cooked rice and sauté for another 10 mins. on low.
5. When b’nut squash is tender remove from oven and cool slightly. Add 1.5 cups of the cooked butternut squash to the skillet and stir well. You can mash the squash with a fork if some pieces are too large. Add Daiya cheese and heat another couple minutes.
6. Add bean filling to tortilla along with desired toppings. Wrap and serve. Leftover filling can be reheated the next day for lunch in a wrap or as a salad topper.
Thank you Oh She Glows for such an amazing recipe!
Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/24/black-bean-and-butternut-squash-burritos/#ixzz3WeO8EJIP